Sunday, February 16, 2014

Transfer 9 - Week 5

This week we actually didn't end up moving into the new apartment... But the whole thing is rather a funny story. Originally, we planned on moving in on Friday morning so having gotten the key Thursday morning we decided to go checkout the apartment before officially moving in. Upon arriving, we found that the apartment was quite horrid and the first words I uttered while stepping into the bathroom were, "I could see myself getting stabbed in here." Luckily, we notified the President and the other missionaries in charge of handling these matters and it should be taken care of. 

Needless to say, we haven't moved in. Turns out that they had found this apartment online and the pictures and price were amazing, the operations assistant for our mission, being new, was slightly inexperienced and bought it right away, signing a contract for a year paying in full. At first, we told them to just cancel it all and let us find another apartment but since they had already paid they said it was too late. We contacted the landlords and met with them, finding that the pictures on the internet and the actual apartment were quite different so we then told the landlords that they must fix everything before we move in. It should all work out, but we won't be moving in anytime soon. It has all been unfortunate for these things to happen but it's also kind of funny. Elder Nasman and I were upset at first, thinking we would have to move in to a terrible apartment, but now we've found it's just better to look at everything with a sense of humor. I'll include some pictures of the apartment. Don't worry though, because we won't be living there. 

For missionary work, it was a tough week. We were however, fortunate to run into a less active member who wanted us to visit her younger brother, diagnosed with cancer and immobilized in his bed. We went to visit him, not really sure what to expect and he said he had dreamt of us the night before, visiting him and wanted us to teach him. We then taught him a brief overview of the Plan of Salvation and shared with him Alma 40:23, speaking of the resurrection. As we were leaving, he said, "The time has been brief, but I have received much." Later that afternoon he went to the hospital and should be back in a few days. We hope to meet with him and teach him more about the Gospel, giving him hope in this life and in the life to come. 
We biked a lot this week, as we have the past few weeks, and the rain has been coming down. It's gotten cold again so the days have been a little rough but also kind of nice because we feel accomplished just going outside at all. 

This Friday is transfer meeting and my companion and I both anticipate that we will be getting new companions, but we will see. The week has been great and I feel God is just trying to teach me right now. Teaching me patience, humility, diligence and faith. We've been working hard but haven't gotten much results, but I feel it's just how things are supposed to go for now. Brother Tao, the man with cancer has definitely been a really cool opportunity. I love you all! 

Elder Hagedorn



Here's the bathroom... Notice the bottle of spray paint that they probably had used a few hours before us getting there. 



I'm not exactly sure how they're going to fix this apartment but I guess by the time they do I'll be gone! 



Here's my companion in one of the rooms. When I stand in it I can't stand up straight haha. 


Sorry the picture is a little blurry but it was cold and rainy! Here's me on Daxi Bridge. 



This is a pretty little field we passed by while biking . 





No comments:

Post a Comment