Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 2 in Taiwan

Good morning everyone! 

It's quite early here, 5:50am in fact, On P-days my companion and I wake up at 5:30 to come over to this little internet cafe to email. Come any later and it'll probably be full of people playing world of warcraft. But seriously though. Let's see this last week has been awesome! Taught a whole bunch of people and they're all progressing so it's great. 

Chinese is pretty tough though... I can speak ok but the problem is when they speak I don't have a clue what they're saying. It's strange, I know the words they're saying but it still doesn't make sense. So hopefully I can start to understand people better because that's kind of a big deal haha. But I know it'll come sometime so no big deal. I study Chinese a lot everyday, probably a combined total of like 2 hours and then all our lessons and contacting people really adds up. Plus, I've got God on my side! I'll understand these peeps in no time. This month we made a goal of 6 baptisms and we were both a bit hesitant at first because that's a lot of baptisms for this area apparently, I didn't know that before haha but we've went ahead and stuck with it because we know there's a way to accomplish it. So we've really been working hard to teach and find and help people committ so they can receive the blessing of baptism. It's going to be awesome, I'll update all of you with their progress and what's going on. Let's see the Lin family is a family of 4 and three have a baptismal date for 2 weeks from now, and we're still working on the dad. So hopefully he will too. We have the Zhang family who is totally awesome, the two sons have a date about 3 weeks from now and then after them, hopefully the rest will follow because they all love the church and the Gospel. We have others too but I'll wait til next week to tell you more about them. Things are going great. 

I also saw my grandma yesterday at church! She lives in a city right next to my area so that was awesome! I'll probably have dinner with her one of these days for Chinese New Year! So cool. I also met a whole bunch of other old family friends who apparently knew my family in Taiwan 18 years ago and held me when I was a baby and stuff. Weird. But cool. Let's see what else. My butt is pretty sore from biking the big hill everyday, sometimes twice a day but it's good. Looks good anyway. Haha just kidding, but not really. Missionary work is fun! There have been a few pretty cold, windy days though. So those were exciting. We probably looked pretty funny trying to go up the hill with just our white short sleeve shirts on while everyone else had huge jackets. Slowly trudging up the hill on our bikes, barely moving forward, the wind blowing against us. Our shirts, ties and pants all wet and dripping. We probably looked pretty pathetic and miserable. But hey it was kinda fun! Kind of. 

Well I think that's about it peeps. Taiwan is great. Awesome. I love you all so much and I'll talk to you next week!



Chinese new year decoration from Caroline! It's a Chinese character "fu" which means bless I'm pretty sure... She's too great right?


 With a bunch of people that apparently knew my family 18 years ago! Xiao kuazi included hahaha. That means "little fast thing"



 On my way to Hsinchu!! (Where I was born... ) So awesome and beautiful!


 A gift from one of the ward members!!!.....? Haha love it.



 Our office study area! My desk is the neat one... :) and the dragon Chinese New Year decoration that Caroline gave me is across our goal window! She's great right?



I believe this is "Xiao kuaizi" (little fast thing hahaha too good of a name) my sister Heather's best friend while growing up in Taiwan so long ago. Crazy! 



Got my new bike so that means we had an extra one laying around that we needed to take care of and put away. Good thing my companion is a skilled bike rider... I took this picture while riding if that counts for anything haha. 



We had mold growing on our stove..... Ha no just kidding that was just ramen boiling over the top on one of our pots while cooking. The green spices were at the top of the noodles and went over the top when it boiled too much so that stuff actually tastes good.



My new bike! Before the painting...



We paint our bikes so no one want to steal them! I kinda like it though haha.





No comments:

Post a Comment