Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Week 1


Hey family and friends!
The MTC is actually pretty chill. The food isn't too bad for the most part and I get a salad everyday in my efforts to remain trim. Arriving to the MTC I was greeted by Elder Shumway and it was pretty awesome, we've been able to chat and hangout a bit and got a picture together. He left for Chile yesterday! Crazy. I also found out that Chinese language isn't being shortened until the next generation of missionaries, so I'm staying for the full 12 weeks! I think it's a good thing though, I don't know if I would be ready otherwise, with my terrible Chinese skills. And I also found out that I can't call home on Christmas due to the limited number of phones here at the MTC. But I can call the day I go to the airport on January 22nd. Ok so life here isn't too bad. We're super busy the whole day and there isn't much extra time to do other stuff like writing letters, for example, the letters I have written have all kind of been under duress, scribbling furiously to finish before bedtime or even over a meal. My schedule is something like this for a regular day.
 
6:30- wake up and get ready, exercise
7:20- breakfast
8:00- language study
9:00- classroom language study
12:00 - lunch
12:45- language study
2:00- classroom language study
5:00- dinner
5:45- personal study, scriptures and stuff
6:45- gym, preparation and shower and stuff afterwards too
8:00- more study of whatever I want, usually language
9:00- plan next day
9:30- head back to room, journal write, scripture reading
10:00- get ready for bed, brush teeth and stuff
 
 
So I keep pretty busy here, but it's not all that bad. At the end of each day I feel I've accomplished a lot and feel fulfilled. Sean is going to LONDON, ENGLAND!!!!! Rickey told me and that is so awesome! Mandarin speaking too!! That is so stinkin cool. Actually, in my district of 9 guys, three of them are going to England, one of them London as well. Elder Collard. He was in the marines and is a really funny guy, you'll get to see him Sean. That is so cool though! I'm very happy for you. Oh I guess I'll tell you all about my district and stuff. My companion is Elder Cheung. He's really cool and enthusiastic about everything. A really funny guy. He already speaks Chinese though and might end up leaving early and I'll go into a tri-companioniship. There's Elder Price, Hopper, Peterson, Sloop, Collard, Kunz and Weech. That's my districk and we all get along very well. We've had some good times. My P-days are on Tuesdays and on Sundays I'm able to go on a little temple walk a bit after 3. I've seen a few familiar faces here and it's kind of crazy! I miss you all a lot and think of you all the time. In my prayers I always say I'm thankful for you all and to protect and bless you all. I've actually learned a good amount of Chinese here and can pray, bear testimony, say simple day to day phrases and even teach a bit. I think by the time Sean gets here I'll actually be able to talk to him a bit and have a conversation in Chinese. I feel I'm progressing pretty fast due to all the time we study and because of my focus. I'm really focused on my purpose. I'm motivated by the fact that if I can speak and teach well, I can really bless families in Taiwan and make people happy. It's so awesome to think of that. Bless someone and in turn, bless their family and generations on. It makes me really happy. At first, 12 weeks seemed like a really long time but now, it seems like it could actually be longer. To think I'm going to be out in the field talking to actual Chinese people when I've only learned for a couple months is crazy. But awesome. I miss you guys and love you all so much. I'm so so so so excited for Sean and I think he'll love it here. As for Cannon and Ben, who are coming here sooner. Don't worry about MTC life. It's actually kinda fun and you make a lot of good friends and have good times. I'll write you all next week and I love you all! Take care.

Bobby H.

No comments:

Post a Comment